A mechanical technician directly works under the supervision of senior mechanical engineer or an expert. Responsibilities of mechanical technician includes assisting the engineer in machine design, construction, modification of variety of machines, maintenance, working on mechanical tools, consumer product and dealing with various mechanical equipments. Mechanical technician can be given any type of work related to mechanical engineering in sectors like automobile industry, power saw, and elevator industry or in nuclear reactor plant. Mechanical technician need to dealing with large machines and delicate tools and need to focus on mechanical engineering technical aspects.
One of the major roles of mechanical technician is to test the mechanical products before it is brought into use or delivered in the market for sale. For example he/she may have to do the setup of mechanical equipment, installation and monitor the system on many aspects of testing. Mechanical technicians in automobile industry need to monitor the crash testing in cars. In addition to this they also have to sketch and layout what the test will show. Through testing their responsibility is to determine what need to be changes, improved, removed or modified in the piece of equipment to make it better, effective and more efficient.
Analyzing and recording the data are also part of duties performed by mechanical engineering technician. Other roles of mechanical technician includes determining the cost of the particular product, comparing the practical value of product based on the current market, sketching new machine parts and tools and writing reports under the supervision of mechanical engineer.
Primary Objectives of mechanical technician:
Primary objective of these executives includes assisting mechanical engineer in the maintenance of industrial machinery, working on wide range of products that range from power saw, air conditioners, and automotive industry to nuclear plants. They also have to work in the fields like elevators and printing industries. Mechanical technician also have to work on tools that make products. Mechanical technician also have to work closely with the engineers who create and improve the products, they also have to work with design and development team and have to assist team in their work.
Tasks to be performed as mechanical technician
- Typical task to be performed by mechanical technician includes analyzing the test results with respect to design and requirement specifications and need to give inputs to improve, modify or adjust the equipment design to meet the requirement specifications.
- They also need to evaluate various design tools, measuring equipments and ensure that they perform as per the specifications.
- They also have to devise, fabricate and install new or modified components such as industrial machinery, measuring instruments and equipments.
- Their task also includes discussing design methodology, method of manufacture, drafting techniques and other aspects with senior staff in order to coordinate corrections.
- Operating on lathe machine, grinders and drill are the part of mechanical technician typical task.
- Reviewing project blueprints, specifications, objectives, procedure, test manuals and instructions also comes in the responsibility of Mechanical Technician.
Knowledge required by Mechanical Technician
Mechanical Technician should possess the knowledge of machine, tools, machine or industrial design, use of tool, repair and maintenance. He/she should have practical exposure to different application of mechanical engineering science and technology. They should be aware of the principles, various techniques, procedures and equipment used in design and production of goods and services. They should have knowledge of arithmetic, geometry, calculus, algebra, statistics and their possible applications. Knowledge of computers and electronic circuits, chips, processors and related work is desirable. Other skill should include: active listener, comprehensive reading ability, critical thinking, effective communicator, ability to define optimal solution to complex problems and a team player.